Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Things Harmful to Frogs

Frogs are really delicate little creatures, and there are several things that can harm them, even in captivity. Many of the things that are harmful to frogs you do without ever realizing it. Below is a list of things harmful to frogs and how to prevent them.

Dirty Water:One of the most damaging and harmful things to frogs is dirty water. A frog's water can become dirty by the frog tracking things such as insects and substrate into the water. Frogs' waste can also build up in the water. So, the bottom line is: frogs need fresh water every day. Frogs have breathable skin, and it absorbs water (and anything in the water) like a sponge.
Frogs can become very sick from dirty water. And the water doesn't necessarily have to be dirty. If the frog's water has chemicals, chlorines, etc. in it, those will definitely get into your frog's system and can be fatal. To prevent many long-term illnesses and countless other problems, give your frog dechlorinated, fresh water every day.

To dechlorinate your water, you can purchase some water dechlorinater at any petstore that carries fish supplies. You should always have dechlorinated water on hand. If you are unable to purchase dechlorinater, leave the water out and let it sit before giving it to your frog for at least 2 days (48 hours). Remember: stale water is always better than fresh water (for a frog, at least).

Rough Handling:As I mentioned above, frogs are very delicate little creatures. Meaning, you can hurt them without even realizing it. Even if you are trying your hardest to be gentle while holding your frog, you should still read my article: Handling Frogs.

Dirty terrarium:Frogs can get several bacterial infections from: 1) Dirty water and 2) Dirty habitats. You need to clean out your frog's terrarium every week (two weeks at most) by rinsing out water dishes and plastic plants. Every 3 (4 weeks at most) weeks, change the frog's bedding and any wooden bark or logs in the habitat. To find out more, read my: Cleaning your Frog's Terrarium article.

Sharp objects:Sharp objects are mostly self-explanatory. Frogs can get scratched and cut, even to the point of bleeding on sharp objects. Sharp objects can be found on plastic plant leaves, wooden logs, or even on the substrate. Good substrates for frogs include: moss, terrarium liners, eco-earth dirt, or coconut fibers. Pebbles are not a good substrate, as they can fatally harm the frog if swallowed. Before allowing your frog into the terrarium, make sure there are no sharp edges that could harm it.

Calcium Deficiency:Calcium is an extremely important part of a frog's diet. Mealworms carry very little except all that exoskeleton (very little meat) and are nearly nutritionless. But they are a nice break from crickets once in a while. However, calcium is useless (from what I've heard) without vitamin D3. In the wild, frogs get vitamin D3 from the sunlight. Frogs need to be provided with: 1) 1 hour a day in full sunlight or 2) a vitamin D3 supplement powder. It is possible to "overdust" with calcium and D3. You need to balance all your frog's meals with each of these. The D3 is no good without the calcium, and the calcium is no good without the D3.

Overheating:As is obvious by the title, overheating is a harmful thing to frogs and can cause death, if not permanent damage. Overheating can be caused by a number of reasons.



  1. Without a temperature and humidity guage, it's very hard to tell exactly what the temperature/humidity is inside the frog's habitat, and frogs can be too hot without you knowing it.

  2. Too much heat being emitted from the lamp is a huge reason for frogs' overheating. On my frog's habitat, I have a lamp with a dimmer; you can adjust the light and heat being emitted. Also, if the lamp is too close to the frog's habitat, he could burn or overheat next to it.

  3. Not having enough humidity in the frog's habitat, especially tree frogs' habitats, also adds to overheating in frogs. The lamp or heat evaporates the mist and water from the habitat, making it dry and hot. If you don't have a humidity guage for your frog's habitat, you should purchase on at the local petstore. Frogs need the humidity to be between 70% and 80%.

  4. No water in water bowl. I know this sounds like a completely irrelevant reason, but like I mentioned before, the heat evaporates water, and quickly lowers the level of water in the frog's water bowl.

Disease:
Obviously! Disease is the largest factor for frog's death and is extremely harmful to frogs. Disease can be caused by dirty water, dirty terrarium, or other sick reptiles and amphibians. Fresh water for frogs every day is a MUST. Read above to find out more about dirty terrariums and water.

Reptiles and other amphibians can carry disease and pass it on to other reptiles/amphibians. If you do have a sick frog, immediately isolate it to a different tank, unless it is in the habitat by itself. Don't move it if it is in the habitat by itself, because transportation is most harmful and stressful to frogs when they're sick.

Cleaning Chemicals:
As I've stated before in many other articles, soap and other chemicals are VERY toxic to frogs! Never ever use soap in your frog's terrarium, and when you're handling frogs, always be sure to rinse your hands to get rid of soap and oils found on your hands.

Wild Insects
Any insect found in your yard or house should never be fed to your frog. These insects are very harmful, and can, in fact, kill your frog. They may carry disease or pesticides that can fatally harm your frog. Also, these insects are much tougher to digest than regular, store-bought insects, since they have been forced to survive outdoors.


Frogs are great little pets to have, and they're rather easy to care for when you get the hang of it. Be sure to do lots of research on the frog you're getting.

14 comments:

  1. will putting permnent mrker on a frog kill it or hurt it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Friends i am so glad to write this article today to tell the world how Dr Oso cured my HPV virus that have been in body since five years ago, ever since then my life has been in complete,i have used so many drugs that was prescribed to me by several doctors,but it didn't cure my HPV VIRUS neither did it reduce the pain, i was checking for solution on the internet then miraculously came across Dr Oso the powerful herbalist that cure HPV INFECTION,then i contacted his email, i explained everything to him and he prepared a herbal cure and send it to me that was how i got cured from HPV disease totally after receiving his herbal medicine, so my friends why waiting and be suffering with this HPV virus when there is someone like Dr Oso that can cure any disease HIV/ CANCER/ HEPATITIS C ,HERPES VIRUS,ALS . you can contact his via: drosohaberhome@gmail.com or whatapp +2348162084839 

      you can also email me for more info about DR oso via jeneferalex123@gmail.com

      Delete
  2. Definintly harm it if not kill it. I hope you're smart enough to know that already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a green tree frog that is having back leg paralasis. What can I do to help the frog. I read up on it but it's not eating the crickets so dusting them won't work. What measurements and how can I give it what it needs?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr Itua cure my HIV, I have been a ARV Consumption for 10 years. i have been in pains until i came across Dr Itua on blogs site.I emailed him about my details of my HIV and my location i explained every thing to him and he told me that there is nothing to be scared of that he will cured me, he gave me guarantee,He ask me to pay for items fees so when i'm cured I will show gratitude I did and giving testimony of his healing herbs is what I'm going to do for the rest of you out there having HIV and other disease can see the good work of Dr Itua.I received his herbal medicine through EMS Courier service who delivered to my post office within 5 working days.Dr Itua is an honest man and I appreciate him for his good work.My GrandMa called him to appreciate him and rest of my friends did too,Is a joy to me that I'm free of taking Pills and having that fat belle is a nightmare.you will understand what i'm talking about if you have same problem I was having then not now though.I'm free and healthy Big Thanks To Dr Itua Herbal Center.I have his calendar too that he recently sent me,He Cure all kind disease Like,Cancer,Herpes,Fibromyalgia,Hiv,Hepatitis B,Liver/Kidney Inflamatory,Epilepsy,Infertility,Fibroid,Diabetes,Dercum,Copd ,and also Bring back Ex Lover Back..Here his Contact .drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whats_app Number +2348149277967

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately I tried to save a frog out of a pool,I put the frog in cup with fresh water and was going take to a pond but he didn't make the toads I also found in pool did make it
    I don't know what happened maybe he overheated

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "If the frog's water has chemicals, chlorines, etc. in it, those will definitely get into your frog's system and can be fatal." Even if you had put him in clean water (I mean, without chlorines), it was too late

      Delete
  6. Would model magic clay be harmful in any way to a frog? A glass frog specifically. Please answer right away, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Friends i am so glad to write this article today to tell the world how Dr Oso cured my HPV virus that have been in body since five years ago, ever since then my life has been in complete,i have used so many drugs that was prescribed to me by several doctors,but it didn't cure my HPV VIRUS neither did it reduce the pain, i was checking for solution on the internet then miraculously came across Dr Oso the powerful herbalist that cure HPV INFECTION,then i contacted his email, i explained everything to him and he prepared a herbal cure and send it to me that was how i got cured from HPV disease totally after receiving his herbal medicine, so my friends why waiting and be suffering with this HPV virus when there is someone like Dr Oso that can cure any disease HIV/ CANCER/ HEPATITIS C ,HERPES VIRUS,ALS . you can contact his via: drosohaberhome@gmail.com or whatapp +2348162084839 

    you can also email me for more info about DR oso via jeneferalex123@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. MY TESTIMONY ABOUT HOW DR IMOLOA HERBAL CREAM ENLARGE MY PENIS FROM 4 INCHES TO 8 INCHES

    Hello everyone here i want to share a marvelous testimony oh how Dr Imoloa HERBAL MIXTURE CREAM saved me from shame and disgrace .So Many Women Today Cheat On Their Husband All Because Of The Poor Performance Of Their Husband In Bed,I Have Come To Know That Women Love Men Who Last Long In Bed And Also Has That Big Dick That Can Make Them Scream And Also Make Them Rich Their Climax,Women Truly Love Good Sex. I Have Been Passing True Sexual Problems For The Past Six Years Now All Because Of The Size Of My Penis And My Poor Performance In Bed I Caught My Wife With A Man On Our Matrimonial Bed I Was Heart Broken And Confused When I Asked Her Why She Did All What She Did She Told Me I Was Not Good In Bed That I Can Not Satisfy Her That She Needs A Man Who Can Satisfy Her That Was How She Broke Up With Me At That Moment. I Told My Self I Was Never Going To Have Any Thing To Do With Any Woman Again I Started Going To The Club Sleeping Around With Different Girls at a Point I Got Tired Of Living That Kind Of Life Because That Was Never Part Of Me I Was On Line Last Month When I Came Across so many testimonies On   Dr imoloa, How He Made their Sex Life Come Back To Life And That He Had Giving Them The Real Size Of Penis A Man  Suppose To Have I Got Interested And I Contacted Him At Once Luckily For Me He Was Online After About 30 Minutes He Replied Me And Then He Told Me Every Thing I Needed To Do After Every Thing He Sent Me A herbal cream Package True The DHL courier  Service Which I Received The Next three Days And Then I Started Using Them As Instructed By Him After About 2 Weeks I Started Seeing My Penis Got to 8 inches And i Felt So Many Changes Inside Of Me And Today I Am Happily Married With 2 kids And Last Up more than 1 Hour On Bed and can go up to 10 rounds with my wife All Thanks To Dr imoloa For Making Me Feel Like A Man Once Again.note he also have cure for..PENIS ENLARGEMENT, BREAST ENLARGEMENT, DIABETES 1/2,HIV/AIDS,HERPES,CANCER,PREMATURE EJACULATION,WEAK ERECTION,ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION ,LOW SPERM COUNT PREGNANCY HERBAL MEDICINE HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE LOW SPERM COUNT LYME DISEASE many more..  Contact Via drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com or  whatssapp--+2347081986098

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm trying to get rid of spider mites in my garden. I'm getting quite the infestation and I'm trying not to use chemicals, so as to protect my wild frogs and lizards. Is Dawn Dish Soap safe to use as an alternative on the leaves of plants, or will I kill my frogs?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete